Today I'd like to shoutout my mother.

 Transgender Positivity Post!

Today I'd like to shoutout my mother.

This woman is my rock. Growing up, was she perfect? Hell no. She made poor choices. She was highly abusive when her seizures were bad. She ran me out of my home as soon as I turned 18 with her behavior. She isn't perfect. But no one is.

It isn't often I will forgive an abuser. But my mother was a product of generational trauma, brain tumors, seizures, and reactive abuse as she was often surrounded by abusive people in her youth. So when she said she had gotten help and turned her life around, I listened and gave her a chance. I am so glad I did.

My mom was both my mother and my father growing up. Losing my close relationship with her during my teen and college years was hard. I am so lucky I got my mom/dad back.

When I came out as nonbinary, she was my first hype squad, my one man cheerleading team. She bought me a flag, helped me pick my name when I changed it, and was open to all the education I was willing and able to provide.

It was rocky as she learned to used neutral terms for me, especially with her brain damage. Even now sometimes I have moments of "Mommmmmmmm Im not a girlllllllllll" and she will scoff and sarcastically correct herself. Her EFFORT, INTENTIONS, AND LOVE for me make all of that a non issue.

People always think trans people get angry when we are misgendered. While, yes, it hurts the dysphoria internally, that is MY struggle. If someone who loves me has shown a willingness and effort to learn and care? They get a free pass. It's ok. You can forget no worries. As long as you are trying. It's the people who don't try or won't try that anger me.

Tangent aside: She has supported me unconditionally during my transition, and my brother as well when he came out after me. Oh and guess what....mom came out too! (Somewhere on the aro/ace spectrum. Not sure yet!) (All non self information shared with permission!)

I am so fucking lucky to have a supportive parent. She deserves all the love and praise because not a lot of people in my community have a parent like her.

This one's for you Momdad.

Mom [She/Her]
Brother [He/Him]
Me [They/He/She]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Month 2 on HRT

Family didn't come around.....In fact, it got worse.